Saturday, January 16, 2010

what if?

Rick has just stopped coming to school.  I really do think that he hates me. :(  What else can I do? I told him that I would like to "start over."  He didn't care.  He proceeded to ask the other art teacher if she had space in her sculpture class next semester right in front of me.  My heart sank.  Am I really that bad?  Have I really made his semester so miserable that he feels he needs to switch out?  I am still trying to find out exactly what it is that I did to make him feel this way.  The only conclusion that I can come up with is that he was expecting an easy class that he has taken twice before, and I switched it up on him... which is hardly reason for the kind of disgust and disrespect that he displays daily.  Still, it makes me sad that I have failed him at all.  The idea of loosing even one student feels like fell short of my obligation as an educator.  I am supposed to be the one to engage him no matter what, that little thing called "differentiation of instruction."  My other students see his public displays of frustration and they know that he is the one out of line, but I still cannot let it go.  I have failed...I am the worst teacher ever :(

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel so bad, Meg; As you said, the student may expect easier class than you teach. So, you may arrange a meeting, sharing your objectives and the student's expectations from the class.

    ReplyDelete