Thursday, January 7, 2010

happy belated new year...

So, I am still catching up to life after being in the mountains relaxing and trying to not "internalize" my stress... just what the doctor ordered.  It was amazing holiday season surrounded by all my favorite people, with all the sweet goodies in which I could indulge at the tips of my fingers, anytime.  Sadly to say, it had come to an end... back to reality.  I kinda missed my little rugrats :)
After walking away for two weeks, I analyzed some situations, gained some perspective and re-energized for my last month of student teaching. I can't believe I am almost finished... So, here goes.  The students are in the middle of an interior design project that is supposed to bring together most of the skills and processes that they have learned thus far, as well as introduce a practical means for art, for those skeptical of its existence, of course.  So far, so good.  Then Rick decides to cop an attitude...again.  It is so crazy to me how the "problem areas" of the other classes rotate and this one particular student remains constant.  He hates me.  I have an idea of why; because I make him do work.  He has taken the class multiple times and thinks he knows how it should be run and that he can teach it.  Why he has chosen to take art 3 times when he doesn't seem to have any particular interest in the subject, behooves me.  I am assuming he thought he could take it again and expect an easy A.  Sorry buddy, I run my class differently.  You will think and produce work in my class.  You will respect yourself, myself, the classroom in its entirety, including supplies, as well as your peer students.  Rick does none of this.  There have been student conferences, parent conferences, detentions, etc.  Nothing.  Nada. Ziltch. No go.  Nothing gets to this kid.  Today he received his first red card, coincidentally the first red card to be distributed by me.  He cannot enter back into my class with our a conference with an administrator and a parent's John Hancock.  He gave me some lip, asked if I "really wanted to do this to him," and proceeded to give the lamest attempt at talking me out of my decision.  Word to the wise, you have to be nice, even if it means kissing up a bit, in order for people to show mercy upon you.  Arguing and insulting my teaching is not, may I repeat not, the best way to accomplish this.  He left the room and I cried.  He's just a kid, and my heart breaks to do that, even if he was acting like jerk.  What if?  What if there is something that I don't know.  What if there are no role models at home to teach him respect in the first place?  What if I was the straw that broke the camels back and he goes home to a knuckle sandwich? All these questions are still running through my mind, even as I right this.  I am scared.  He must really hate me now :(  I hope not.  I really hope he respects me going through with my word.  I like Rick.  I see a little bit of myself in him, may I repeat a little bit.  He has such a positive energy when he wants to... How do I get that back?

No comments:

Post a Comment