Friday, December 11, 2009

Sharing is Caring!

So, today I pretty much peeled my students off of the ceiling.  I don't know what their other teachers fed them today, but whatever it was it was filled with sugar and caffeine.  Chatty, chatty, chatty!  I was so excited to introduce the next project, but I couldn't get their attention to save my life.  The unit that we are moving into is a collaborative group project on Interior Design using the Elements of Art and Principles of Design.  Although I encourage social interaction and working together in all their art-making to a certain extent, this project focuses on working together for a common goal.  They are to work together to design a room for prospective clients.  Hopefully they will gain sense of responsibility and accountability.  They will have to depend on each other to complete the assignment, as their individual grade will reflect how they worked as a group.  I will be choosing the groups, so the students will have to step out of their comfort zone for a bit in order to make the most of this collaborative project.  Announcing this fact went a little differently than planned... they actually were ok with the fact that I am choosing the groups!  OMG! i was expected ten minutes of justifying why they are not allowed to form their own.  Cheers to that!  I really think in the long run they will benefit much more from me strategically selecting who will work with who. I will be able to place struggling students with those that usually are high achievers, hopefully ensuring success for all.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment